Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Old houses and plumbing

I love old homes, their quirks and charm that is almost non exsistant these days. I hate the plumbing in older homes. It is a domino effect when you start a project. It sucks and it seems to just get worse.

Our shower is torn apart right now. We had a leak on the back wall, and it let water in and then it spread around the rest of the tub, between the surround and the wall, and came out on the edge of the tub, creating a mysterious mildew spot. We bandaided the problem for a while, but then it came back with a vengence. So being the inquistive person that I am, I decided to check around and ended up tearing out the whole surround.

It was bad. It was very bad. Mold and mildew everywhere on one wall, rotting boards on the other, and just some wet spots on the back wall. Needless to say, we are replacing the shower and surround.

Now, it is a good learning experience for me. I get a feeling of pride being able to fix things by myself, being able to take it all apart, and then put it back together. I took most of the tub apart, then let Blaine do the hard taking down of the old sheetrock, as I went off to purchase the new tub supplies.

Then, $400 later I came home with a new surround, sliding glass shower door, paint, and all the other odds and ends required to finish this project. Well, almost all the odds and ends. I forgot the tape for the new green board (water resistant sheetrock) and the expandable foam that Blaine told me we needed when I got home. Thank goodness we still had funds from our tax return available.

So today holds the daunting task of trying to put it all back together so that we can have a shower again, maybe tomorrow.

On a side note, I hate female plumbing too, but I won't go into that right now (just for you Lisle).
Hope all of you are well and doing okay.

1 comment:

Ramanda said...

Check you out! I am impressed with your skills! Old house plumbing is crazy. You never know what your going to get! Good luck with it all!