Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's over... and at the same time it begins....

So today everyone with the political fire is back to normal. I felt compelled to stay up and see how it all shook out. It wasn't who I voted for, but as I watched everything unfold, I saw some interesting things.

First, anyone who can get voters to turn out in the masses they turned out in, and wait 3-4 hours in some cases just to vote, deserves a little respect. Second, I really believe that some of the people were not very informed in their decision (and that goes for both candidates). Third, John McCain showed a lot of class in his speech following the announcement that he had lost. Fourth, Barack Obama made a lot of good points in his speech (i.e. government can't fix everything, our nation needs to come together, the root ideals that the republican party is based on are ideals we should all have and strive to share, this election showed that people and their vote do count, etc.)

I lay awake most of the night thinking of what I would post here. There was alot that went through my head. I think Barack won't be so bad if he can lead this nation the way he led his campaign, and get the masses involved. I also think he has an uphill battle as he tries to help people understand things are not going to be great over night and that people still have to take responsibilities for their own problems and actions. I think this is a momentous occasion that we will look back on and say I was alive when we as a nation elected the first African American to the office of president.

Barack brought people out and united so many minority groups that if this continues, and our country unites, as it states in our name the United States of America, then our nation has a great and bright future in front of it.

Everyone has something to offer as far as ideas and different points of view go. I am grateful to have stayed up and had the opportunity to see many different peoples.

So let's see what the future holds, with an open mind, understanding, and no judgements or "I told you so"s.

No comments: